Wednesday 27 January 2010

Layers of the Earth

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging lately I'm too busy I can't even find time to eat! Doing a degree and working with primary children is so difficult. If you've emailed me and I haven't replied plse forgive me, I'll try to do so soon. Here is something we recently did in my class.
Last week I made this earth model. I first saw this presentation done when I was living in Egypt and attended a science session at a Montessori centre run by an 80 year old American woman who trained many many years ago. I wanted to make it perfectly, so I matched the layers inside to the cards I downloaded from Cultivating Dhrama, I then covered the coloured ball in a layer of blue. I cut out continents and stuck them on [except for Antarctica which one child pointed out]. The children were so excited as I walked around the classroom carrying 'THE WORLD' in my hands. Then to their amazement I cut it! Yes I cut my work of art :( and we talked about the different layers inside the earth and how they were formed. This was a follow up lesson to the first great lesson.


The layers of the Earth shown inside the model. The children loved it and so did I.
This is how I have the activity set up on a tray. Not perfect I know but it was what I could find in a rush.
Little-N and his friend working with the earth model, globe and layers of the earth cards. Some of the children went on to make project books about the earth. Another child drew an amazing picture using pastels.

I noticed that Monressori en el hogar recently did a similar activity, it's always lovely to see what other bloggers do.

14 comments:

Leptir (Nataša) said...

Your Earth model is so beautiful. Colors are so clear.
PS I downloaded cards from Cultivating Dharma too, they're also beautiful :-) I translated it in Croatian, and my kids LOVE to work with it.
I haven't posted about my Earth project yet.

jojoebi-designs said...

what a great idea, at first I thought you had made a globe cake, I am rather relieved it isn't and I will be able to copy it :o)

Paul and Ines said...

I do this activity also...It's so fun & if i have enough clay..they'll make their own. @ my montessori journey...she's got a cute song that helps remember ..city, state ,country continent, earth. Hands on experiences are great!

N from the Learning Ark said...

Jo,
It would have been awesome if it was cake. What a great idea!! I think I'll be trying that one soon.

nun said...

AMAZING......

chatrin said...

love it..

daniel said...

when The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

online education

Karen said...

Beautiful Work!!!! It's a great idea! Thanks for share it!

Evelyn / 2 Pequenos Traviesos said...

Wow, this came out really nice! You must have been so excited. When I get to this presentation with my 8 yo I'll use this post as a reference. ;)

Jennifer Williams said...

This really inspired me.... I am making one to use in my Teaching practice placement in a nursery in Newport on Friday... can I ask, did you make the model in front of the children or did you make it before hand??

Thanks, Jenni

Umm Umamah said...

Hi,
The first time I saw your post, I was almost jumping off my seat. I soooooo wanted to do it. Well I finally did it with my kiddos and loved every minute of it. I linked it back to you. So do check it out
http://umamahlearningacademy.blogspot.ca/2012/09/our-earth.html
I would love to hear from you :)

Umm Umamah said...

Hi... after seeing your post I just had to do this with my kids and I did... They enjoyed it so much that they want to do it again on a LARGER scale :) I linked up to you in my post check it out http://umamahlearningacademy.blogspot.ca/2012/09/our-earth.html
THANKS !

Anonymous said...

mini earth,
beautiful layers example
good knowledge :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Dear I am egyptian,and i was so happy to see your post.. me too I had my montessori diploma classes with Mr margaret:)