Sunday 1 December 2013

Homophones, Homonyms and Homographs

Little-N has been working with homophones, homonyms and homographs. I introduced each group of words using concrete materials. For the initial homonyms presentation, I used a model of a dog [for the word bark], Bonsai [bark of a tree], a small tennis bat, a model of a black bat [animal], a bell [for ring], and an amethyst ring. Although the elementary child is older, they still find great pleasure and excitement in lessons that use concrete materials. Each objects was placed on the mat and labelled appropriately. The children then guessed what the lesson was about. After defining 'homonyms' the children spent time thinking of their own examples. I also encourage the children to use the dictionary to find new ones.

As follow up work, I have many drawers filled with word pairs which can be matched. Each word card has a definition which the children read and match. Since Little-N is 9 years he is ready for a more advanced look at homonyms. For him, I prepared sentences which contain homonyms. His job is to find the matching sentences and then symbolise the homonym using the grammar symbols.
Little-Ns next step is to write a poem or story full of homonyms.

P.s. As you can see Little-Ns hair is very long. He won't let me cut it. He is getting mistaken for a girl 80% of the time now, yet he doesn't seem to care!

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I like how you have them first come up with their own words before starting on the drawer work and I also like how you have them symbolize.

Gigi said...

I love your approach to homonyms and homophones! Printing this for future!