Sunday 8 June 2008

Sight word wall


Little-N is sailing through his reading. He has been blending for a long time, but couldn't really read whole sentences. Recently I decided to give the sight words another try. I am working through the 45 reception high frequency word list with a few additions at his request. I teach them using the '3 period lesson' then stick them on the wall where he can easily see them. I catch him every now and then reading the words to himself. When he knows them I move onto another 3 words and so on. As you can see his list has grown longer and longer. The fun thing about sight words is they don't have to blend and for some children blending is a burden. He loves that fact that he can find his words in all different books. The best bit however is discovering that he can read for himself.

No comments: