Monday 10 November 2008

Practice with the tens beads

Recently a child had been working with Seguin Board B and the tens beads. I didn't feel that the child had fully understood the concepts behind this piece of material and so I needed to develop a practice material to allow the child to work further with this material until she was ready to move on.
I came up with the following practice cards. On one side a two digit number is written and on the other side is a picture of beads. The child uses these cards with the tens bead box. The child chooses a card, makes the quantity with the beads and then turns over the card to check if she has the right answer.

Sorry about the second picture [it's not clear], Annabel was playing with the beads and I had to take the picture quickly before she messed up the materials.
I have added the file to my box.net account, feel free to download it and please do leave a comment if you do. I'd love to know how you used the material and whether it worked for you or not. To make it up, print all six pages, then cut out all cards and glue the corresponding cards together and make sure u stick the correct pieces together. Then laminate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I really appreciate the work that you put in to it.

Susan Dyer
The Moveable Alphabet

Mrs. Reid said...

Thanks for the tens bead practIice. I am a first grade teacher who is trying to offer Montessori materials and training to my traditional school students.
I have a group who are struggling with number concepts so I look forward to trying these.

Lindart said...

I have downloaded the file and will make this soon. What a great idea - one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas! Thanks!

jeanna said...

Thank you for this printable, what an awesome way to practice using the ten bars and units...My students will love it, and I know a particular student that would benefit from this work!