Saturday 5 December 2009

Parents Evening and a Money Activity

Only one more week of school left until the holidays. As the first term comes to an end I find myself feeling very content and happy that it has gone so well. There have been a few usual hiccups here and there but overall the children have done great. Last night was the parents evening and it was lovely to show the parents all the work the children have done. I've worked so much this term its unbelievable. I'm looking forward for the holidays to unwind and relax. But I also have a lot of work to do as I have several Montessori related projects that I need to work on.

This term has again proved to me that the best thing you can do as a Montessori teacher is to ' Follow the child' and 'believe in the child's learning capacity'.


And just before I end this post, I'd like to share with you one of the money activities that I do for children who are finding it difficult to understand the value of each coin. Basically we start at 1p and I ask the child to put the correct quantity for it in unit beads. Then we do the same for the 2p and 5p. For the 10p the child will place a ten bar, for 20p 2 ten bars and 5op five ten bars. Next they will place a hundred square for £1 and 2 hundred squares for £2. Using the beads helps children to visualise how the value of the coins increase although the sizes of the coins don't.

5 comments:

nopinkhere said...

nice idea! We definitely haven't even come close to getting that across to K. Something like this might help. Enjoy your holidays!

Leptir (Nataša) said...

Money activity is great. Thanks for the idea!

Lindart said...

Great idea for the money activity. I'll have to try it!

Annicles said...

I did money this term with my year 1's and they all loved. I had one small chap who just couldn't "get" that £1 = 100p so in the end I did the same exercise as above but all with pennies! He understood it after that!!!

N said...

Thank you to all for your comments.

Annicles:
Love your idea of doing it all with pennies. Thanks