We started with the Positive Snake game, here are some pics of how to do it.
POSITIVE SNAKE GAME
For the basic presentation you will need
- two sets of the short bead stair,
- 9 golden bead bars
- a counter [bit of card with a slit cut out for the child to use when counting]
- Show the child how to build the bead stairs, one starting from 1 and the other starting from 9. Then ask the child to lay out the Golden beads vertically beside the short bead stairs.
- Show the child how s/he can make a snake by taking on bead from the top of the first bead stair and one from the top of the other bead stair [i.e. 1 and 9 then 2 and 8]. Continue in this manner.
- Once the child has built a snake with all the beads, show the child how they can count the beads in the snake starting from the left [The child can use the counter if they wish, Little-N prefers to count with his fingers]. When s/he reaches 10, show the child how they can replace the coloured beads with a golden bead bar. Place the coloured beads at the top of the mat/table vertically one on top of each other.
- Continue in the same manner, counting to ten, substituting for a golden bead bar and placing the coloured beads at the top. Continue until all the snake has been changed to gold.
- Once the snake has all been changed, show the child how they can take the golden beads and place them next to the coloured beads.
- Next you can show the child how 1 and 9 made 10, 2 and 8 made 10 and so on.
In the last picture Little-N wanted to double check that the beads made 10 so he counted them again.